- What are the challenges for you as an online student?
So far, I haven't noticed many particular challenges for me as an online student. My challenges are more to do with not having been a student for a few years (in a credit course, that is). I need to (re)teach myself APA, for example and I just need to get into the swing of things.
Also, I feel as if there's a lot more flexibility in how my assignments can be done, which is exciting, but it means I also need and want to spend time looking into what alternatives there are. I am currently deciding how to do my second assignment, which is about the challenges and opportunities of e-learning. I believe I'm going to opt for making a video to push myself to do something I'm less familiar with, which means researching some alternative tools for making the video. For instance, I've spent a little time experimenting with Prezi though I think I'm going to choose another option. I wasn't quite ready to submit the first two assignments when they were due, but I'm happy with my decision to wait until I'm ready to do them to my satisfaction. Despite missing the opportunity to get feedback on them, I think I'll get more out of submitting them later.
Perhaps one practical challenge is finding a way to organize articles and other readings that I've done so that I don't lose track of them. This is easier to do with PDFs or anything I can turn into a PDF, but web pages are more of a challenge. I also like PDFs because I can highlight them. I am trying not to print out too many pages, so that is something I'm still looking for a solution to.
- How are you going to deal with these challenges?
Regarding keeping the readings organized, I'm saving PDFs into a folder on my computer but have not found a good way to organize other types of files like web pages. Often I just leave tabs open with these articles but this will become a less and less viable option as I progress through the course. Perhaps I'll just keep a page of links for articles related to specific topics.
I'm enjoying having a lot of time on my hands so far to spend time getting used to being a student again. I'm happy to spend extra hours looking at how to use Prezi, for example, or what's involved in the newest version of APA format.
- What has been your most important learning to date?
So far, my most important learning is how effective online learning can be. I feel inspired to try to create better online learning in the future. As an online student, I'm also excited about the ease with which I can find resources I can use to learn about whatever pops into my mind, without ever leaving the couch, which means I'm much more likely to research anything that catches my interest while I'm studying. If I need a refresher on a concept that comes up, for example, it's easy to find out about. I already do this in everyday life, but I now realize what a difference it makes being a student in the Internet age and how empowering it is for students, supporting them to become independent learners.
Comments
Post a Comment